What to Know Before Attending #SMMW (Take 2)
Social Media Marketing World 2016 is around the corner (starts April 17th!) & I thought a list of tips would be helpful to prepare before attending one of the largest Social Media Conferences around. These tips will help you know what you need to KNOW before attending #SMMW. If it's your 1st time attending these tips will help you too. 😉
If you don't know what #SMMW is learn more about the event here: Social Media Marketing World
Mike Stelzner, Founder of Social Media Examiner (SME), & his team really know how to pull together an amazing event. From the moment you hit “submit” for your tickets you will start to receive important information and details about what to expect.
WHY ATTEND SMMW?
- Networking opportunities galore
- High-value training, insights, & workshops (without the pitch!)
- Recordings of every session (or you can grab a virtual ticket if you can't make it IRL to SD)
- Um, it's in San Diego! Who doesn't LOVE SD?
- ALL of your equipment: Phone (duh!), selfie stick, tripod, headphones, bluetooth, bluetooth remote, chargers, & more
- Portable charger(s) (you are going to need them!)
- Books you want signed by speakers (there are books for sale there too)
- An extra bag to bring home all the goodies you pick up
- Notepad & pen or computer/tablet for taking notes
- Business cards
- Oversized bag for transporting your laptop, books, equipment, etc
- A positive attitude & enthusiasm to connect & network
- Open-Mind to absorb all of the information
- BONUS: Something fun to hand out to help people remember you! Examples are stickers to add to badges or promotional branded items
DON'T BRING THIS:
- Anything large, clunky, or annoying to carry around! See that sign? I thought it'd be a great idea for photo ops & it did work like a charm. However, it was cumbersome & I kept forgetting it. Oops! Though it did make for an interesting story if you want to hear it click here & go to minute 11:30. If you want to bring a prop for photo ops I recommend something light & easily fits in a bag.
- Uncomfortable shoes or clothing. You want to be sure you are comfy as there is a lot of walking.
- Negative attitude! This is a fun conference with people that enjoying meeting new people & connecting with others they've only meet online.
This year I'm bringing smaller & lighter branded items. Check out Etsy to find something to suit your brand. Find me & let's take pics together! 🙂
You need to do your homework before attending an event like #SMMW16 – you want to know which sessions are the do not miss LIVE & which you can listen to the recordings. However, this varies by individual, industry, sector, etc. Choose wisely!
- Who do you want to meet? Make a List! Seek them out. Determine your strategy to meet the people you want. If you want to know my strategy message me & I'll give you tips to be introduced to the people you want to know.
- Have questions prepared you want answers to.
- Potential Clients – who are your prospective clients? If you are clear in who you are looking to meet others are able to help introduce you the right people.
- Potential Employers – looking to find employment here? Know what type of companies you want to work for.
What types of sessions do you want to attend?
- Check out the sessions & determine your schedule before the event. (WARNING: it may change once you are there.)
- Strategy (BIG Picture Stuff)
- Tools & Tips – Learn the best tools the pros use
Do Your Research!
- Study who will be speaking
- Determine who best fits your goals
- Connect & engage with them online prior to event
- Have questions prepared
- Put on your best SMILE!
- Go to every event
- Say “Hello” to everyone & anyone
- Find a way to stand out & be memorable
Look forward to connecting & meeting everyone in San Diego!
Disclosure: The Social Media Marketing World link is an affiliate link. 🙂
Share this Post
Join me at Social Media Marketing World in San Diego this April! If traveling to San Diego isn't an option you can catch ALL the sessions in the comfort of your PJ's.
For a fraction of the cost of a regular ticket, you’ll get full access to the recording of EVERY session. Yes, every keynote, all the panels, the hands-on workshops and each great session–the ones people travel thousands of miles to see–will be at your fingertips.
With your Virtual Ticket, you’ll have access to 100+ online recordings of everything. You can watch playbacks from your computer, tablet or smartphone at your leisure.